Monday, March 8, 2010

10: Virginia


Dear RW,

I was very pleased to hear of Frank’s success at VMI last semester. It was hard sending him off for the first time, and I’m glad that his training commenced without a hitch.

You should have seen his face when we loaded him onto the bus – he looked so alive. I could see the spark of life in his eyes, like he knew was headed off on some grand voyage of discovery. I almost didn’t want to let him go – I couldn’t believe this was the same boy I’d brought into the world what seemed like only months ago – but I knew the benefits of his labors with you would be inestimable. I did the best I could to mold him in our image, but you’re going to make a real man out of him.

It’s some program you’re running there. I looked over the outline you sent me with Frank’s file. I know you’ve refined your approach since the last time, and while your curriculum is ambitious, to say the least, I’m confident he’s up to it. We share the same vision, you and I.

Things are humming along here on the Potomac, though the recent weather did shut down the lab for a couple of days. I hope to be able to send my next boy off to you this fall, according to schedule. Keep me posted on Frank’s progress until then.

Best of luck in your undertakings,

Victor


Dear RW,

I know what you mean. Of course the SOP had to change after the incident at VPI (it took us almost two years to regroup!), and now that Renegade is POTUS, we’ve all got to play our cards even closer to our chests. Can you believe it’s been over six years since we started this? How quickly the time has passed.

It was easier under 43 – nobody was counting the KIAs as they came in. Now we have this uppity rag from SF poking around at Arlington. We’ve replaced our man there. The numbers are slowing down, though – we’re hoping the new push in SWA will help, but we may have to line up a new source. That’s not your problem, of course, so don’t worry – I’ll keep them coming, one way or another.

I must say time is crawling without Frank around. Maybe it’s all this frost and snow – I hate to think that I’m just being sentimental. But, I have come to think of him as a kind of son. Perhaps that isn’t so unnatural.

Really, though, I think what I’m missing is someone who really shares my enthusiasm for this project. I know OPSEC demands otherwise, but it was easier when we were working on this together, side by side – these emails are a poor substitute for those times. 

My hands are trembling as I type this. I marked off the last black day on our OPTEMPO calendar this morning. We’re on the edge of the unknown, the unexplored. We’ve never made it this far before.

How soon will I hear from you again? What kind of news will your next email bring? I won’t wish you luck – we’re beyond that now. I am confident in our success.

Your brother in arms,

Victor


RW,

I was shocked to read about today’s tragedy online. It was awful. All of our work, ruined again. I’ve been taking a lot of fire here. I don’t see how we can recover from this.

I’m writing this note in haste – I’m due to deliver a SITREP to the Pentagon ASAP. Hopefully 44 hasn’t caught wind of our involvement yet.

V


Dear RW,

I thought we were done for, but it looks like last week’s incident had a silver lining after all. The DOD was impressed by Frank’s efficiency, at least, and is willing to stick with the project until the personality kinks are worked out.

I’ve decided to call our new boy “Adam.” The lab approves – Mary is eager to make a fresh start, too. I’m feeling positive about this one.

It’s strange. Just yesterday it seemed like our situation was hopeless, and today the mists have cleared and we’re making rapid progress again. You’re doing a heck of a job down there. Keep it up, and soon it’ll be “mission accomplished.”

This week has been difficult, but when we look back from the future, who knows how we’ll feel about it? Some people may say we’ve played God or created a monster, but I think Adam is destined for greatness. This is the future of warfare. I think history will be sympathetic to us.

Yours,

Victor

2 comments: